Roxane's Reviews > Les aigles d'orient

Les aigles d'orient by Pierre Bordage

Feb 03, 09

bookshelves: french, science-fiction, racial-issues
Read in January, 2009

This is the second and final book in the series Wang and it's definitely a nice wrap up to the overall series as it ties up all the loose ends and finally leaves our main characters in a comfortable place... Perhaps it even wrapped things up a bit too nicely for my taste.

The first book ended with the Fredric Alexandre winning the Uchronic Games against all odds, mostly thanks to the Chinese immigrant Wang. The second book opens on another final of the Uchronic Games, two years later. The mixed feelings and jealousy Fredric experiences towards his first officer Wang are quite obvious and render their military association somewhat hazardous.

Outside the Games, the stakes are still the same: Western Nations are attempting to fight an invisible enemy whose numbers are fewer but which possesses a greater and much more advanced technology. This enemy sees in Wang the one who will lead the immigrants' army and bring down the electro-magnetic wall which separates the West from the rest of the world and bring an end to Western domination.

The first 150 pages take place during the Uchronic Games and while there were some very poignant scenes illustrating the extent to which the immigrants are forced to go to in order to survive, 150 pages was just too long for me. And so, it momentarily suspended the pace of the series. But then, things started to get interesting again as soon as Wang was out of the Games and thrown into real life issues (though those being as life threatening as they were during the Games, you might not notice the difference).

My main complaint about this conclusion to the series is that it's been too well introduced, i.e. it renders the book too predictable. You know how it's going to end, you know why and there are very few surprises. I still consider it a worthwhile read, but the first book was far more interesting and engaging the second one. Still, if you've enjoyed the first volume, you need to read the second, it's still a very powerful conclusion but it definitely doesn't compare to the first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les aigles d'orient.