Nas 's Reviews > Crossroads

Crossroads by J.J. Bonds

Aug 30, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from August 25 to 26, 2012

I am searching for the right word to express my reaction after finishing this book.

What just happened?

That's pretty much sums it up.

Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it! This book was full of surprises. I just can't. My mind is literally blown right now. This book is definitely a favorite. I love every character, especially Katia. She may be one of my favorite female leads. She was definitely strong and brave. She had her won secrets which surprised the hell out of me. I love when the protagonists have a secret of there own. We may be in there head but it's reassuring to know that, they too, have some secrets of there own.

This book was just WOW. As you can see I am a bit breathless.

It was slightly compelling but moved a bit slow. I liked it, but not enough o have my FULL attention. Nothing very interesting happened. As I was 100 pages into the book, I didn't hate it, but I never would have guessed I would have liked it so much. The last 50 pages changed my whole view on the book. Even thought I, at some point, thought the book was getting boring, the ending is definitely worth the wait. This book bumped from a 2.5 to a 4!! It would have probably been a 5 if it wasn't for the beginning. The beginning wasn't necessarily bad or boring, which is the main reason I kept on going, it was just preparing for something more exciting. It just took longer than I thought. The reason I kept going was because I knew something GOOD was coming up. I wasn't disappointed at all because I knew that this was planned. Even though I also thought that the beginning was just a waste. I now know it wasn't. That's what bonds wanted. To stall its audience for the big scene! And boy did it work. That was why I kept going. The beginning was ok. It just made us more anxious for the end.

Why don't I try a different approach? The ending was just amazing! It was such a rush of surprised. It definitely payed off of for the dull boring. I instantly knew I would love this book. KATIA'S SECRET DOWNRIGHT KILLED ME. There was a point in the book where I wondered if (view spoiler) But to know that it was actually true! I dropped the book. I was super glad to find out Katia's secret before the end of the book. I don't think I could handle the long wait before finding out her secret. I completely love the ending. Based on the ending this book would have been a 5 star! It was full of suspense, action, and a revealing of secrets!

The authors writing was certainly compelling. She captured me in. If it weren't for her alluring writing style I would have abandoned this book for its weak start. The author has mad skills :D I have high hopes for the second book.

The characters were all amazing. Nikolai was FUCKING SEXY an awesome male lead. I was disappointed we didn't get as much steamy hot scenes of him and Katia, but I was also proud that Katia isn't one of those girls who throw themselves over any hot guys she sees. She played hard to gey and it was very amusing. I love how she didn't fall for him the minute she saw him. Even when they kissed! I loved her attitude and hilarious banters. Nikolai was awesome and how he reacted to Katie's secret earned him bonus points. He was strong, brave, and willing to protect the things he cares about.

The plot was a bit short and slow, but compelling either way. I loved everything about this book. It certainly wasn't flawless but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I will be starting the next book as soon as possible. I am craving more Nikolai.

I would have given this book a 5 and I'm very compelled to do so, but the beginning was still lacking.

4 out of 5 stars.

P.s if you are reading this book and find the beginning lacking, do not quit! Keep reading, the ending will be worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossroads.

08/25/2012 page 83
27.0% "Moving a bit slow, but Im compelled by the writing."