Tara's Reviews > The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving

The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison

Aug 24, 12

Read from August 13 to 23, 2012

Reading for book club...so far, so good. Finished, and still pretty good. I enjoyed the first half of the book, less so the road trip. I'm just not a road trip reader, having done it many times, I can never see any plausibility in the "this road trip saved my life" kind of books. I mean, Benjamin Benjamin and his rag tag crew of happy misfits was just a little too much of hitting me over the head to get the point. I already knew that taking care of Trev would allow Benjamin to muddle his way out of his well deserved self-imposed imprisonment, I didn't need him delivering a baby and reuniting a father and daughter to prove that he was a good caring person. Aside from that, I thought the best thing about the book was Evison's ability to bring his flawed characters to life with such fullness that the reader does not pity them. Instead, we feel their desire for greatness and we empathize and root for them in all their failings. I also appreciate Evison's handling of the tragedy--bringing us in through flashbacks--so that the "incident" is always in the mind of the reader, just as it haunts Benjamin. When I read the line, "But I'm a stay at home dad...", it was just like...yep, I got it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving.