Shells's Reviews > League of Strays

League of Strays by L.B. Schulman

U_50x66
Aug 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

League of Strays had me at the opening scene. Charlotte Brody, a GOOD GIRL, sneaks out of her house in the middle of the night to attend a secret meeting, after receiving an invitation to join the League of Strays. She has no idea who they are, what they're about, or why they want HER. How could she not go? Wouldn't you?

LB Schulman masterfully unfolds a thrilling tale of one girl's need for friendship and one boy's desire for revenge. She breathes life into each of her characters, leaving their voices to linger in your head long after you've set down the book. This story is so authentic to the nature of high school and the many choices we make, just to fit in. Even when fitting-in means sacrificing a part of ourselves.

As for you Good Read Critics, it is important to note, there is NO gay bashing scene! Each character comes to the group with a story of how they have been "wronged" in some way by a fellow schoolmate. Richie, yes he's gay, shares a terrible prank played on him by a particular school jock. Well, if you're wondering if Richie gets even...Hmmm? Revenge is sometimes, oh so sweet! You'll be cheering for these underdogs through the entire novel.

Trust me when I say, this story is not for wimpy readers. It's packed full of REAL situations that happen everyday in high school. It might not be happening to you, but it is happening, don't fool yourselves. There are scenes written that will make you uncomfortable and some that will leave you breathless. But from beginning to end, you will wonder what's coming next in this plot twisting story of romance, betrayal and friendship.

P.S. There's a little Charlotte Brody in all of us. :)

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read League of Strays.