Joyce's Reviews > Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead

Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead by Sara Gran

Aug 13, 2012

Read in August, 2012

A review I read by Bruce DeSilva of AP said, "Suppose Nancy Drew had been raised by indifferent parents on the mean streets of Brooklyn, liked getting stoned, got seduced by the occult and was haunted by her failure to solve the childhood disappearance of a close friend. She might have grown up to be a lot like Claire DeWitt, self-proclaimed world's greatest detective."

He was right on target. I read this, and kept reading, not sure what I thought about it. The story takes place in New Orleans a year or two after Katrina, and mainly features down and out people who are drug addicts, alcoholics, orphans, thieves, or all of the above. It sounds depressing, but for some reason it's not, and maybe that's why I kept reading it. No one in this book tells you life is just a bowl of cherries, so you don't expect it in these pages.

But it is very interesting, well written, and kept me there till The End. . . .I just realized why you keep reading: because in spite of the bad times, the bad people, the characters you encounter still (on occasion) try to stand up for each other. There are some key times when even the "bad" guys do good.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead.