Love2read's Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Laurann Dohner

Aug 30, 12

I am a big Laurann Dohner fan, but I am so disappointed with Obsidian. She really missed the mark with this one. Whereas I loved the "Me Tarzan, You Jane" routine in Valiant, Obsidian just didn't do it for me! Simply put, I was bored and underwhelmed. I usually love Dohner's formula, but this go round no! The writing was stilted, rushed, and disconnected. I couldn't fall in love with Obsidian the way I have with other main male characters in the New Species series. I was left wanting and I think Dohner's problem with this book is that the foreplay she usually builds between the characters was absent and a result of poor writing. I felt like this book was too much dialogue and narrator driven. I don't need to be spoon fed and told what to think as a reader.

Alli's internal dialogue was unappealing because I couldn't connect to her character and lose myself in the story to become her. She was annoying. The writing in general had a lot of telling, but little showing and too many loose connections. So how does Obsidian go from being practically threatened to help and see Alli after the kidnapping to obsession and a mate claim? This part of the novel was too rushed and there should be another chapter between five and six. Obsidian's obsessive behavior was too childish and underdeveloped, whereas Valiant 's possessiveness was more endearing. That's my two cents.

Out of all Dohner's books, this is the only one where I wish I could get my money back. I love the New Species series, but Dohner needs to make it fresh again. Amp the writing up and leave the sophomoric pandering to the amateurs. The book should have started with the excerpt Dohner had shared before the book's release, right at the point where Alli had stolen Obsidian and then done a flashback to how she did it. The rest of the exposition seems tacked on. Also Alli was not credible as a doctor. She didn't sound educated whereas Trisha in the novels does. You expect a doctor to have a more developed vocabulary other than prosaically using the word "sucks" over and over again. The overuse so early on in the novel grated on my nerves. I get it, the female lead should be relatable with the female reader, but in this case I felt like my intelligence was insulted. Alli's intelligence was severely downplayed in relation to Obsidian's caveman vocabulary. I just didn't like Alli and Obsidian's "love" story because the plot was underdeveloped.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya OMG ! you took the words right out of my mouth. I hated Valiant too!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy So.. Valiant's a better chest pounder, you say? That one's going to the top of my tbr pile. Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Love2read Actually, I really liked Valiant, but I pretty much hated Obsidian. He just didn't mesh with Dohner's branding of Species.

Caressa Brandenburg the ending was horrible. it was as if whomever wrote it had no knowledge of New Species at all! separating mates? then he just gave in and fit in? he was playing soccer and his mate showed up and he takes the time to let them know he is leaving?? wth? I could have written that ending better!

Love2read Caressa, you are so right. The ending totally violated her formula. Her original novels were written years ago and she began revising them. I think Dohner lost that umph she had with the first novels. I hope her 10th, Moon, will be better. I didn't read her 9th, Shadow, because it just didn't appeal to me. Will you read the next one coming out?

message 6: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya actually, Shadow was pretty damn good. I want to read Moon now though

Love2read Really? Awe...man...are you sure? I'm scared to spend $8.00 on something that's gonna make me mad.

message 8: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya no seriously. I was sort of shocked it was so good.

Love2read Don't tempt me! I want to read Moon, not Shadow.

message 10: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya Yeah i am waiting for Moon to be sent to me today. you cant skip shadow and read moon. no matter how crappy her book was you still gotta read. you know who I want to get a man? Breeze

Love2read Totally, but for Breeze she needs an Alpha New Species man no 21st century tamed Obsidians for her. I bet Breeze's story would be funny to read.

message 12: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya I would so wait to see breezes story. I love her character so much

Love2read Me too. :-)

message 14: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya Hey Love2read I got Moon. You want it?

message 15: by Lyne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyne Beausejour I thought I was the only one that did not connect with the characters. It started well but then?????

I did finish it but was happy when it ended.

Love2read The novel felt incomplete for me. I think her earlier works were stronger and better built.

message 17: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya Yea this book was a dud

Love2read I read Moon and was disappointed as well. :-(

message 19: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya What? You didnt like moon? I thought it was ok. I didnt have that many complains. But the were leaning towards obsidian

message 20: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya Did you like shadow?

Love2read Not really. I haven't liked the last three books at all. The first books were written when she was younger and revised. These last ones are missing common sense and a certain level of realism that allows us to suspend traditional conventions and dive into the book. I don't expect romance novels to be perfect or completely realistic, just somewhat plausible even with the Sci-fi new species element included.

message 22: by Mya (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mya Indeed

Love2read I read Lacey and Lethal and like it.