Roossy's Reviews > The Twentieth Wife

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan

Dec 01, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 1

The Twentieth Wife was Mehrunissa.
Her father was almost abandoned her when she was just an infant for he could not afford her. Luckily, Mehrunissa was picked up by a Persian man who was also the savior of her family.
The Twentieth Wife, the story of Mehrunissa’s love to her prince, Salim.
It was also a story of politics in Mughal India kingdom and its harem.
After Mehrunissa’s father accepted a position in the kingdom, she was noticed by the Queen and was asked to be a lady in waiting.
During her service, she took a noticed of Prince Salim and fell in love with him.
Her love and admiration were reciprocated however it was too late as Mehrunissa was engaged to be married.
The Twentieth Wife was also the story about power struggle between fathers and sons. A persuasion to get the throne was fired up by Prince Salim advisors and he rebelled against his father. While this happened, Prince Salim’s older son was also thirsty for the throne and challenged his father.
Mehrunissa’s life was described in details in this novel. From her suffering for not able to marry the man she loved to the humiliation of not able to bear a baby for her husband. Finally after enduring a few miscarriages, she gave birth to a baby girl. Mehrunissa’s life changed after a tragic death of her husband. She then went back to be a lady in waiting for the Queen (now a former Queen) and supported herself and her daughter for four years. The love between her and Emperor Jahangir had never ceased even though many people against it. Mehrunissa was the last wife of Jahangir.
I found out about this novel from my contact in Flickr. Just a few months before, I finished a novel titled “Taj”. In it, there was a short story about Mehrunissa and her marriage to Jahangir. The Twentieth Wife is a sequel of The Feast of Roses in which the story of Mehrunissa as an empress continued.
The author of this novel researched many history books to obtain the facts for this story. Indu Sundaresan was born and raised in India and currently lives in Bellevue, Washington, USA.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twentieth Wife.

Punita Wow, glad I saw your review after I read the book.

Vicar Sayeedi Thanks, Roossy. Five stars is very exciting. I'm planning to read the entire trilogy. I've recently been reading, "The Twentieth Wife."

Have you managed to read the other books in the Taj Mahal series, yet? They seem to be very good, as well. I've been researching Mughal history for several years now so I'm very excited to read them.

I recently stumbled upon Sundaresan's series while publishing my new novel, "Legacy of The Peacock Throne" - a work of historical fiction about the lives of Shah Jahan and Mumtaz (Mehrunnisa's niece) - and I was taken by surprise to find another story about the same family/dynasty. Best wishes.

Vicar... (Goodreads Author)

message 3: by Readers (new)

Readers Cosmos Get a chance to interact with the author of The Taj Trilogy - Indu Sundaresan. Her recent book The Mountain of Light has been released worldwide now. You can talk to her about her book, writing in general, her journey as a whole etc.