Elevetha 's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: images-involved-in-review, clone-me-one-of-these-guys, fairytale-retelling, fairytales, fangirl-alert, gorgeous-covers, 2013, adventure, fantasy-sci-fi, favorites, magic-and-other-magical-substances, quite-good, shippy-otp-ship, where-is-the-next-book, fan-mix, signed-books, own
Recommended for: Lovers of fairytales retold, reimagined, or twisted on it's side and everyone
Read from February 06 to 07, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 1

PRE-ORDERED!!!!!!!

description

...

4.5 stars.

Okay, I will write a full review but over the next couple of days. Cannot deal with thoughts and feels right now. (Plus, still finishing Perfect Scoundrels review...)

It was fantastic. Cinder was good, right? Scarlet is much better.

Characters

Scarlet: I love her. Though she be rash and quick to judge (view spoiler), she's loyal to family (sorry, Wolf. Not quite there), strong (I detest using that word), smart (mostly), and an all around great character.

Wolf: He may just be new fictional crush.

Honestly, I could sing the accolades of this character and how sad his backstory is and how much he tries and how much I want him to be really truly happy and how lonely he is and how undeserving he feels and how perfect him and Scarlet are....

But all of you reading this are probably getting bored.

Well. Too bad. I will continue.

Now don't get me wrong, he makes mistakes. He's not perfect. (view spoiler) But neither is Scarlet. They complete each other.

I have no way to express Wolf's character in this small paltry review a 1/100th of the amazing job that Marissa does. I just can't. She brings across such a shy, sad young man who has been used and forced to do things he never wanted to do. He wants to try to be a better person. Enter Scarlet. It takes a while for her to warm up to him and then when she does, he feels like he doesn't deserve her. Because he's that kind of guy. Then he doesn't tell Scarlet his plan because he knows she will have none of it (aaand it's really not the greatest plan...Sorry, Wolf. It's just really REALLY not.) and then he gets too deep and...stuck. Scarlet saves him. (view spoiler) And we're back to him not deserving her, mostly because he's afraid he'll hurt her. And then there's the end, (view spoiler) in which I tell you nothing but that there is more closure than Cinder and Kai got in Cinder.

Ran: I swear, he showed up and I turned and said to the random family member sitting next to me, "He's got to go." (view spoiler)

Cinder: I liked her maybe more in this one. True, not as much of her but what we got was quite good.

Thorne: When he first arrived, I wanted nothing more than to slap him. But as the story progressed, he grew on me. A bit. I have a sneaking suspicion that he will be Cress' love interest....not sure how I feel about this...
...

Could I have been any more pleased with how Cinder (and Thorne)'s story was tied into Scarlet and Wolf's? Probably not. It was masterfully done. Very impressed.

....

LOVED it.

And may I just say: Cress cannot come fast enough.

Fan Mix

1.Bleeding Out - Wolf (view spoiler)

2.Demons - Wolf

3. A New Way to Bleed - Cinder

4. Help, I'm Alive - Scarlet (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

Quotes Elevetha Liked

Marissa Meyer
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

Marissa Meyer
“But you're the only one, Scarlet. You'll always be the only one.”

Marissa Meyer
“We met less than a week ago and in that time I've done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance...all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I'm able.”

Marissa Meyer
“I don’t see that her being cyborg is relevant.”

02/06/2013 "description"
02/06/2013 "So far...

I really really like Scarlet and Wolf:)"
02/06/2013
60.0% "description"
02/07/2013
80.0% "description" 2 comments
02/07/2013
90.0% "description"
02/19/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Miss Clark Aahh. Darlin' you are not reassuring me. Are you telling me that yet again we have no closure for the main couple?

Elevetha Miss Clark wrote: "Aahh. Darlin' you are not reassuring me. Are you telling me that yet again we have no closure for the main couple?"

No, no. I'm not done, ya know. There is closure.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.

Elevetha Voted. Thanks!

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "Voted. Thanks!

Personally, though, none of them. I'm not sure of my mental image for Scarlet but those aren't it."

Oh, cool... you know, I should've put an other option... will do.

message 6: by Elevetha (last edited Mar 18, 2013 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elevetha All righty.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "All righty.

I suppose a small part of the problem is that those actresses are all too old for Scarlet."

True, I felt a bit stuck in the actress department cause I limited myself to well-known redheads, but actually any young actress could die her hair. Though, Marissa Meyer did say she liked the idea of Emma Stone... wonder if an older Scarlet would change the story too much... hmmm... :/

Elevetha I kinda like the idea of a younger Scarlet. The age she is in the book, you know. Hollywood is always aging up characters and it never seems to quite work out, in my opinion.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "I kinda like the idea of a younger Scarlet. The age she is in the book, you know. Hollywood is always aging up characters and it never seems to quite work out, in my opinion."

True enough, can't tell you how many teen dramas I've seen done with 28 year olds lol.

Elevetha I know!

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "I know!"

And, actually Scarlet's occasionally maddening irrationality/rashness might be better portrayed by a younger actress.

Elevetha Agreed. They seem to have that kind of thing down.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "Agreed. They seem to have that kind of thing down."

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Here's a question just brought to my attention, actually... do you see Cinder as Asian?

Elevetha More Asian than not.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "More Asian than not."

Right... I definitely saw her in the culture, but I guess with her always saying she was from Europe, and then from Lunar... I kinda questioned her Asainness. - That's why, lol, I picked white girls for her part. lol. Now I have to look up some Asian cuties... for her role. :P

Elevetha I'm looking forward to seeing your cast of girls for her.

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Just asked Marissa Meyer and she answered back: "Lunars are kind of their own ethnicity. Her ancestry is very mixed, and she has tan skin, brown hair, and brown eyes." - So she'll kinda have to be a mix... hmmm... that's a toughy.

message 19: by Charlie (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie Ika-Heimonen How about Kristin Kreuk? I know she's older :( But she's the only one that I feel can fit such an elusive nationality description.

Elevetha I see what you're saying about her...I'm not entirely apposed to her though what her acting skills are, I don't know.

Nina Dobrev sorta has a similar look. (though her as Cinder I would not be a fan of)

Charlie Ika-Heimonen Elevetha wrote: "I see what you're saying about her...I'm not entirely apposed to her though what her acting skills are, I don't know.

Sadly, most of my dream cast was compiled purely based on looks. :( Acting would be a totally different beast... tho, perhaps I like their looks more b/c of their acting...?? It'll be tough no matter what... not sure what they're going to do... hopefully find some new amazing fresh talent.

Elevetha That would be awesome.

Miss Clark Also, I love this review :)

Elevetha Miss Clark wrote: "Also, I love this review :)"