Christal's Reviews > The Taken

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: angels, death-as-a-character, ghosts, multiple-leads, pi-detective-cop, reapers-and-ghost-whispers, shady-government-agency, urban-fantasy
Read from August 13 to 14, 2012

The Taken combined angel mythology with noir-style mystery and the retro rockabilly subculture to create a unique story. I am hooked on this new world and definitely interested to learn more about the characters, especially Grif.

Griffin Shaw is a "busted" angel who finds himself trying to protect Girl Friday and rockabilly enthusiast, Katherine "Kit" Craig from some very influential people. These men don't want their prostitution ring investigated and they will kill Kit to stop her. Grif helps Kit in her investigation and, in the process, hopes to learn who killed him and his wife back in the 50's.

The world building was very good in this novel. The different classes of angels were well-crafted and explained pretty well. I imagine we will be given more details in the future novels. The rockabilly scene was cool and not something you find in many other novels.

Grif was a great character. He has a murky past filled with mysteries and Vicki Pettersson doesn't give us all the answers here. I can't wait to read the other two books in this trilogy to find out everything about Grif and his wife, Evie. Kit wasn't fleshed out as well as Grif for me, but I am still okay with her character. I hope she is given a little more depth in the next novel because she has a tragic past that could make for an interesting psychology.

The beginning of the book was a little slow. Ms. Pettersson had a lot of setup to do with the angel world and introducing Grif and Kit to each other and the audience. I don't think this should be a problem in the next books. Once the story got moving, about 1/3 of the way in, I didn't want to put this book down. The villain was pretty easy to identify once he was introduced, but I was sucked into the ride and couldn't wait to see him brought to justice. The romance between Grif and Kit was a slow burn but it adds a dimension to both characters that elevates their story.

I've sampled Ms. Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac series in the past, but I have to say this novel captured my attention in a way that series never did. The Celestial Blues trilogy has the potential to be something unique and different in the urban fantasy/paranormal romance landscape and I can't wait to be taken along for the ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taken.

08/13/2012 page 34