Claudia's Reviews > Wintergirls

bookshelves: ya-books
Recommended to Claudia by: Rebecca
Recommended for: every girl
Read in March, 2009

This one was worth the wait. I had to wait while the pre-publication copy flew around my classes. This one is her best. She writes flawlessly in the voice of Lia, a sad, disturbed, disturbing, girl who may or may NOT be recovering from her recent hospitalization for anorexia...We hear everything in Lia's head. Her real thoughts, which she revises out of her own head, her ambivilance toward her parents, her anger she can't quite express, let us know she's sicker than she will admit. We also see her incredibly mixed feeling about Cassie, her former-best friend, whose death because of complications of bulimia. Is Cassie really haunting her? What about their agreement to be Wintergirls -- to be the skinniest? Mythological images and fairy tale images add another layer to this rich story...Persephone is never far from the surface -- the original Wintergirl.

Watching Lia waste away from us is some of the most painful reading I have done. Anderson handles her descent into madness with power and skill. Like Lia, we the readers, are almost surprised to see how far she's sunk until it's almost too late.

As harrowing as this was to read, I can only imagine the pain it took to be this honest, this close to the bone. I'll buy several so there's enough on hand for all the girls who need to read this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

12/04/2008 page 30
03/14/2009 page 89
32.01% "Finally, finally -- I got it back! Woohoo!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Courtney So, you like it? A friend of mine who was reading it said it was really hard to get into, and she didn't know if she would be able to finish it. I was pretty surprised considering how much I've enjoyed Anderson's other novels. Oh, and I had a boy, who borrowed Twisted over the break, come to class yesterday and tell me he LOVED the book. I think I may have a new convert. I had to do some serious convincing, though, that it wasn't chiclit.

message 2: by Vivian (new)

Vivian My students always liked Halse!!! I've just finished Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks. It might be my favorite by her.

Now I'm reading Cutting for Stone. Will keep you posted.
Vivian