Lynda's Reviews > The Peach Keeper

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

Sep 30, 12

Read in August, 2012

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen was like a beautiful pie with a golden brown crust that just invites you to slice into it and enjoy a piece. Unfortunately, once the first bite has been taken you find yourself chewing and chewing waiting for a burst of juicy fruit or a satisfying custard filling but instead finding a lot of puff pastry and air.
I really, really wanted to read this novel, expecting a driving plot or strong character development that fleshes out the subplot of love, friendship and death.
Loose connections between little dramas and scattered character development made it difficult to connect with the main characters. At times, it feels like a second or third hand story with significant details missing. By the end of the book, I felt robbed of my time spent reading it and frustrated because it seems the author wanted to hedge her bets and give us a little knowledge about several characters but not enough for us to fall in love with one or two.
I don't believe I have read any of Allen's other novels and to be honest, I probably will not if I have anything else to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Peach Keeper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sirammaris The Garden Spells is much better, if you have a chance to read it.

Jess I agree with you and also agree with marissiram, Garden Spells is much better. Her other two books were just okay reads for me too. So if you do decide to read another, I recommend picking up Garden Spells and giving it a go.

Jess Speaking of Garden Spells, I just realized that the caterer, Claire that is featured in the story as being one everyone wants to book for their parties, well Garden Spells is her story.

Catia I agree, I enjoyed all of her previous books but something was missing this time around :(

Cindy I've read 4 of her novels -- enjoyed Garden Spells the most for character and plot. Sugar Queen was almost as good. Peach Keeper was also good, but I thought Girl Who Chased the Moon was the lightest book, with the least fleshed out characters. But still enjoyed all 4 and waiting to read the next one.

Marianne Could not agree with you more!