Fiona's Reviews > A Salty Piece of Land

A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: belize, general-fiction
Read from August 13 to 30, 2012

What an adventure! Move over Indiana Jones; Tully Mars is the sea worthy adventurer.

Forced to leave Wyoming or face jail, Tully Mars hitches up his horse, Mr Twain, and rides to Alabama. From there, he takes a boat ride (with Mr Twain) into a new world of sailing, fly fishing, and new friends. Of course, he still has to hide from the bounty hunters who are after him which means he uses fake passports and by-passes customs/immigration control altogether. He meets many new characters (and they are all characters) on his travels. And, these new characters are his friends for life. That is, all except for a couple who tell the bounty hunters where Tully is hiding. I won't spoil this by telling you who they are, but I had a feeling they were trouble. He ends up working on the lighthouse on Cayo Loco, the author's made up island in the Bahamas.

Jimmy Buffet (yes, the margaritaville singer/songwriter) is the author of this tale. I didn't know he wrote books. He takes Tully from Wyoming to Alabama to Mexico to Belize to Cuba to Key West and to Bahamas. He writes well of the locales. I picked up this book because of the travels to Belize. You can tell that Jimmy Buffet has traveled to Belize because he writes about the Cayo and San Pedro and Belizean habits as if he spent a long time there. And, he may have.

Very enjoyable.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Salty Piece of Land.