Danielle's Reviews > The Last Colony

Jan 09, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: picks, sci-fi, 2009-read
Read in January, 2009

Third and final book in the series (if you don't count the Zoe's Tale parallel novel), and the novelty of the characters/future setting still hasn't worn off for me. Additionally, I also greatly enjoyed the writing in this one. Sometimes time progresses quickly and things are notated in an almost bullet-point format (but not annoyingly so). Other times everything is explained in depth. I enjoyed the pacing and (mostly) enjoyed the wit of Scalzi.

I did have some problems sympathizing with the colonists. It seemed like some of the characters were intentionally stupid to make a point, and that grates on me a little bit. And, much as I enjoy sarcasm/wit, the teens are too witty and precocious.

I also got bored with some of the political tangents. Yeah, sure, it all made sense, but that doesn't make for interesting writing. I liken it to some of the earlier books in the Ender's Shadow series - I'm still glad I read them, but they were getting too political for my tastes and didn't seem as meaty in the sci-fi/fantasy aspect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Colony.