Christine Boyer's Reviews > Florida Roadkill

Florida Roadkill by Tim Dorsey

Aug 13, 12

it was ok
Recommended for: Guys in their 20's from Florida.
Read from August 09 to 13, 2012 , read count: 1

This is the perfect example of someone who, because of his profession (Tim Dorsey was a reporter) knew a lot of cool, exciting crime stories and friends told him, "hey, you know a lot of good stories, why don't you write a novel?" Well, just because one KNOWS stories, doesn't mean someone can WRITE stories.

Being a crime/chase type genre, I expected nailbiting, suspense, excitement, and wild scenes. Instead, it was boring, the characters were flat, and the whole thing read like a newspaper article. Also, I was born and raised in Florida, and yes, I knew all of his references: Mom used to grocery shop at "Publix", I watched the local show, "Skipper Chuck" every morning, and we all did our clothes shopping at "Burdines". But enough is enough! I can't believe how many Florida streets he references, avenues, neighborhoods, even the "OMNI" parking garage where any of us who have spent time in Miami have gotten lost in. Big deal! I'm from there and it not only didn't help with the story, it actually kept bringing me out of the story. However, referencing streets like that IS very much a "reporter's style" and I suppose that's just what Dorsey is used to. There were also way too many characters for such a short story. The whole thing felt like a dated, boring episode of "Miami Vice" mixed with "Smokey and the Bandit".

On the positive side, this was his FIRST book. Perhaps his publisher and/or editor have helped him with his additional novels in learning how to build suspense and develop characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Florida Roadkill.

message 1: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Perry Yes, he has a quirky style that I find enjoyable. Read Pineapple Grenade. It's on the new books list--just published. See if you like his style more. There is a guy called Carl Hiaasen that writes in much the same way.