Kris's Reviews > Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado

Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado by B.K. Bostick

Oct 06, 2012

bookshelves: review-copy, books-reviewed
Read on August 13, 2012

Thrilling and filled with mystery and adventure, Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado is a book that middle-grade, and older readers even, will enjoy.

I have been waiting a year for this book. Even before I read the last pages of Huber Hill #1 and realized that Huber's adventures were just beginning, I was not ready to let go of Huber, Scott, and Hannah. They are delightfully fun characters and filled with personality. Huber is that nerdy kid with a thirst to prove himself, Scott is that akward tween who isn't quite sure how to express his feelings and ends up rubbing people the wrong way, and Hannah is Huber's intelligent twin, the girl that guys fight over (literally) and fiercely protective of her brother. Being an older sister, I understand her feelings and was able to empathize with her over her concern for Huber's wellfare. Each one of these characters has their strong points and weaknesses that allow readers to relate to them.

New characters are also introduced even as old friends return. I enjoyed meeting their new friends in Spain. There's the charming Spaniard who captivates Hannah and infuriates Scott in addition to the gorgeous girl who shows interest in Huber, with their introduction developing new tensions within the group. I also love the quaint Don-Quixote-like character. He is a wonderful old man whose heart is in the right place, though his mind is not always there.

And, of course, this wouldn't be a Huber Hill book without the treasure mystery. If you've read book one, you'll remember how the Dead Man's Treasure is stolen at the end of the book. Now, Huber, Hannah, and Scott are traveling to Spain on the pretense of studying the Spanish language in order to recover the stolen treasure. This book introduces a mysterious society (you got it, the Brotherhood of Coronado), which seeks to amass gold and, hence, power in order to take over Spain. They have high goals, which leads to higher stakes.

The Brotherhood is an interesting addition, and I really appreciate the role they play in the story. However, there is an even more interesting and mysterious character in the book, and that is the one known as the "Falcon." This stranger is working against the Brotherhood and seeks the aid of Huber and co. in his plots. However, he won't interact directly with them and gives them clues to the keys to infiltrating the Brotherhood. With time, I began to suspect his true identity, and it was confirmed at the end of the book along. There is an even greater adventure waiting for us in book three, and I cannot wait for the next year to come along with the next installment!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog Imaginary Reads.
Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado.