Kelly's Reviews > Local

Local by Ryan Kelly

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read in August, 2012

I like the concept -- twelve years in the life of one woman, Megan McKeenan, told through twelve vignettes, each in a different location, some telling her story directly and others in which she is entirely peripheral. And I like the execution. Wood and Kelly make a good team. Having read the compiled book, rather than the twelve installments independently, I can appreciate how reading them one at a time would slow down the story and give it greater space. (Though I'm grateful I didn't have to read it spread out over the 2.5 year period in which it was published.) The essays included by Wood and Kelly add even more depth to the work (though I might have benefited from them more if I had read each immediately after the installment to which it relates). In addition, I appreciated the "groundedness" of each chapter. Wood and Kelly did an excellent job of researching their locations and working to represent them authentically in the narrative. Having lived in or visited a number of the locales, I appreciated how the feel of each place served as a living backdrop for the story itself. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Local.