Isamlq's Reviews > Fall Guy

Fall Guy by Liz Reinhardt

Sep 24, 12

Read from September 23 to 24, 2012

I was worried FALL GUY would be a little too much for me. Too fast a connection made or even too many conflicts between the two. They both recognize those as pulling them apart but despite the same their helplessly drawn to each other. Now, them together was in turns scorching hot but also mind numbingly dramatic. Both go all in AND are terrified about perhaps having chosen the wrong thing. Too much, too fast, so the drama! It’s all there. Yet, I kept on reading (with one brow perpetually raised.) Simply because there’s something... uhm, something... I just don't know what.

Evan first made her appearance in SLOW TWITCH. She read exactly like the other guy in Brenna’s life: live hard, party harder, heed not the consequences of one’s actions. She deserved a story of her own. She gets hers here; we see why she is the why she is. Her reality seems to be that she’s alone, though dotes on by her grandparents, she’s basically on her own. So her issues range from feeling unwanted, unlovable etcetera, etcetera… leading her to do some pretty outrageous things, including accidentally setting fire to an orchard. This then leads to her meet Winchester Youngblood, a name *shakes head* that still sounds over the top in my head. He is mysterious man-boy. Man boy because he’s got the bucks and the car and the power but he’s also his issues.

I’d laugh at the push pull that takes place in this one if it weren’t so frustrating. He is shrouded in mystery and she’s hell bent on knowing all; add that the reveal could have gone laughably over dramatic, soap opera style. Mainly every time the word ‘family’ is mentioned in conjunction to his, it felt like it was capitalized. It had interesting moments, but I’ve said this before and it applies to FALL GUY as well:

Too much, too fast, so the drama!

(Still, the sexy times did get sexy.)

1.5/5

And so, continues my search for indie YA/NA contemps that aren’t over the top...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall Guy.