jenjn79's Reviews > Hot Pursuit

Hot Pursuit by Suzanne Brockmann

Dec 01, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: series-troubleshooters, 2009, author-suzanne-brockmann, reviewed, genre-romance-suspense, published-2009, stars-3, bought-kmart, condition-new, format-mmp, info-full
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Read in August, 2009

Rating: 2.5 / 5

I had a tough time deciding what to rate this book. My opinion of it seemed to go back and forth. So in the end, I settled for middle ground at 2.5 stars.

In this fifteenth installment of the Troubleshooters, author Suzanne Brockmann brings two past characters back into focus: Sam & Alyssa, along with a host of other recurring characters.

The Troubleshooters and a few moonlighting SEALS from Team 16 travel to NYC to help Assemblywoman Maria Bonavita with security measures since she has gotten a few threats. Alyssa heads the team with her husband Sam as her second. They bring baby Ashton with them, thinking it will be a quick, low-intensity mission and a bit of a vacation for them. Joining them from the SEALS are Izzy Zanella, Dan Gillman, Jay Lopez, Dan Gillman, and Tony Vlachic.

Once they arrive in NYC it's not long before they realize that the threat is much more serious than they previously thought. A heart is found in Maria's assistant's (Jenn's) desk drawer. It turns out to be a human heart so now the team must scramble to figure out what it going on. FBI Agent Jules Cassidy gets the case and he brings his husband Robin with him.

The investigation commences and the various characters interact with each other. Sam worries about Alyssa, Alyssa worries about Sam, Gillman pursues Jenn for a two-week fling, Izzy and Gillman clash, etc. It all comes to a head when Sam realizes the killer they are looking for is actually The Dentist, a serial killer Alyssa has been looking for for years (and who was featured in a Sam/Alyssa short story a while back). And now he's got his sights set on Alyssa.

So...what did I think of this book? Well...it didn't entirely work for me on several different levels. I'll start with the simple ones first.

Dan Gillman and Dan/Jen: This one's pretty straightforward. I can't stand Gillman. He was a total asshole in prior books and my opinion didn't change in this one. He completely manipulates Jenn into a two week relationship because he wants to get some. And he goes for her because she's the "chunky" friend of a beautiful woman, therefore probably desperate for attention. So wrong. Then he cries on purpose to get sympathy and to keep her from second guessing sleeping with him.

Really, this is the kind of character I'm supposed to like? Brockmann, I suppose, tries to soften him and make readers sympathetic to him by giving him a very dysfunctional family and currently suffering from a head injury and/or PTSD, but that didn't change the fact that he was a world class jerk. At least to me. Jenn deserves much better than him.

Because of all that, I didn't have much interest in the chunks of the book featuring him. It was kind of like watching a train wreck.

Sam/Alyssa: Okay, I didn't really have any problems with them or how either were presented. I did enjoy getting to catch up with them and "seeing" them together. They're one of my all-time favorite H/H's and so I never mind reading about them.

At the same time, with them being the focus of the book and no new H/H (Dan and Jenn don't count), the level of romantic anticipation really went down for me. I missed there being a new romance with an HEA at the end. Which is, I suppose, why I've never really been interested in those Eve Plumb, JD Robb running series with a single heroine or H/H.

Robin/Jules: Again, I was okay with this part. I think those two are so sweet together. Maybe you could say Jules doesn't have utter and complete trust in Robin and baby's him a bit...but ya know what, it's warranted. Robin is a recovering addict who could very easily slide back into past habits. If Jules has take actions to keep that from happening then I have no problem with that. But aside from that, I enjoy reading about those two. Jules is a fantastic character and one of the best things about reading the Troubleshooters series.

The suspense plot: Honestly, it was just okay for me. A little to low-intensity, not enough detail and a bit too secondary in the story. I just thought it could have been a much stronger element of the book.

Now, moving on to the more nebulous reason that I felt sort of disconnected from this book. I guess you could call it a lingering hangover from what was the Sophia/Dave/Decker fiasco in Dark of Night. Or maybe it's that I've lost some faith in the author because of DoN and some of the author's comments. I fell into the camp that had been fully expecting a Sophia/Decker pairing, that the things I'd read in previous books were leading up to that point. I know not everyone felt that way, but that's the way it came across to me.

And so now I find myself utterly leery and wary of any multi-book romance that the author is writing. Because how can I get invested in a couple - as I did with Max/Gina and Alyssa/Sam - when the author has so recently shown that she'll go whatever way suits her fancy, even if it goes against earlier writings?

That's how I felt while reading the sections of this book dealing with Izzy and Eden. I really like those two together; they seem to suit each other. So I'm hoping they'll be able to work things out. And there were parts of this book that appeared to be very pro-Izzy/Eden...with Izzy saying he loved her, wanted her back, had gone to try to see her, etc, etc. Which made me happy, and yet I kept thinking back to Sophia/Decker and what the author did there. It left me with little faith in believing what direction the author was going. Especially when Brockmann added the awkward scenes between Izzy and Maria. It just left me envisioning a book where Izzy and Eden part ways and the author later stating something along the lines of 'how could you expect those two to stay together when they married for reasons other than love, when Eden was barely 18, and went through what they went through' as she did with the whole Sophia/Decker thing.

And all that fosters that disconnected feeling I had while reading because I no longer have faith in where the author is heading with the multi-book romances. It's a disappointing thing, for this reader, because I've really loved this series up until the previous book. Gone Too Far and Breaking Point are two of my all-time favorite books, and Max/Gina and Sam/Alyssa are two of my all-time favorite romance couples. So to end up at this point, where I'm so disappointed with what's going on with the series, it just really disappointing.

Will I read the next book, which will be the last Troubleshooters book for a while? Probably. I've come this far, might as well read one more. After that, who knows?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Pursuit.

08/11/2009 page 349
83.29% "Gillman gets the asshat of the decade award. What a jerk."
08/12/2009 page 398
94.99% "Hmmm...debating what to rate this book. Review will be up either today or tomorrow." 3 comments

Auntee If you would have liked Gillman, do you think this one would have worked for you? He was one flawed hero for sure, but I did believe he truly loved Jenn. But I think (hopefully) he's going to have some groveling to do to win back her trust.
These last two have been stinkers for you, huh?

jenjn79 If Gillman had been passably likable, maybe I would have liked it a little more, but not much. Like I said in the last part of my review, I've just lost faith in following SB on multi-book romances. And that's a big part of this series.

So yeah, SB plan to take a break from the series and I can't say that I mind at all.

Auntee I'll be upset if she breaks up Izzy and Eden. I didn't like that Maria propositioning him!

jenjn79 That whole thing came off rather stupid for me, and didn't say much for Maria.

I hope Izzy and Eden work things out, but I have no idea what to think. SB has become totally unpredictable on that front.

message 5: by Rane (new)

Rane Awesome Review Isis
Blah! Just reading about Gillman made me wanna upchuck!

Arch Well, Isis_FG, you know that I was one that was rooting for Dave and Sophia. I didn't see where Decker loved Sophia. Suzanne didn't make me believe that Decker was in love with Sophia and that the two was suppose to be together. In Suzanne's book, when the hero was in love with the heroine, it would show. All of Suzanne's other hero showed they were in love with their heroine, but Decker never showed that he loved Sophia. He showed how he felt about Tracy though.

Now, I had to laugh, when you said that Dan and Jen didn't count as a HEA.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) This seems kind of soap-opery to me. I'm not in a hurry to read it. I like the military action stuff more than solving a murder stuff. Good review, Isis.

Jody I am one of those "chunky" girls and was braced to hate Dan, but I think SB did a good job showing he was truly attracted to Jenn, even if he was lost in his own bullshit about the nature of his attraction. She wrote Jenn well, I hope I would be that aware of reality to make a guy leave like that, and I won't be disappointed if they end up together, provided Dan works out the BS and Jenn works to improve herself (because, sorry other chunky girls, but I don't want us to make excuses for not being in shape and healthy.) As for Deck and Sophia, I was bothered at first, but it became clear there was no true love there, just dysfunction. I don't like Tracy very much as a character, but he definitely needed someone like her to draw him out, however I REALLY don't like that SB had to get on the bondage bandwagon, and introduce the "pain and fear turn me on" scenario. Ugh, I am so sick of 50 Shades informing newer romance novels. to enjoy that type of play is fine, but to NEED it is dysfunction, I don't care what anyone says.

message 9: by Jayelle (new)

Jayelle Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It really helped me to know what is in store moving forward in this series, and also sums up how I feel about SB's story lines. I definitely will keep reading on though. I love this series.