Dayna's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Aug 27, 07

I commented before that this book is slogging ... and that's what it is. I slogged through half of it ... and then it was due back at the library (yeah ... it took me a month to slog through half of it) so I skimmed the rest until the end. I'm going to be fair and say that if you enjoy Arthurian romance and if you already know the legends through and through that you might enjoy The Mists of Avalon more than I did. Yet you may be even more frustrated than I was. Perhaps disgusted. I cannot give it less than two stars (even though I think it's really only a one-star) simply because of the fact that if I understood all of the author's sources I might have liked it a lot more than I did. As it is I just could not get into it and so I call it second-rate slop. Tripe.

It is the story of Arthur and Camelot from the womens' point of view. Sounds excellent, right? Whatever. I was frustrated by the fact that every female character seemed manic. In one paragraph she (any SHE in the story) is madly in love with a man (any MAN in the story) and in the next ... moments later SHE is digusted with him. Back and forth it goes. One minute SHE feels like a goddess and the next she feels lost and all alone and confused. Arthur is basically pathetic and all his knights are either "My sword is bigger than yours!" or "I love Pathetic Arthur more than you do!" Beyond that it seems like the book could have been cut by half and you would have had the same exact story ... with all of its wishy-washy characters. Give me a break! I basically concluded that some people will like the "feminine" aspect better than I did and that I simply prefer the story of Arthur to be told from the warrior aspects. Forget the twisted love crap. I wanted more Excalibur! And not this "the blood of a woman woven into the threads of the sheath ... " blah-blah-blah. Just the sword & battle ... and the knights' adventures. I don't care who so-and-so may or may not have fooled around with. Anywho ... if you're into King Arthur I would not recommend this book to get you started.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

Dayna Ugh. This book is slogging.

message 2: by Kipahni (new) - added it

Kipahni i can't believe you haven't stopped reading it yet.

Dayna hahaha. i can't believe i haven't stopped either. it's due back on monday so ... if i'm not done by then oh well. it would be worth finishing if only to write a scathing review on it ... i guess that i can do that anyway since i'm halfway through it as it is. have you read it, tiff?

message 4: by Kipahni (new) - added it

Kipahni only the first page. but you were reading it when I last came to visit.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You're the first person I've ever seen to not like this book. I do agree that most of the female characters seem manic, but, considering they're the ONLY characters that we see more than a glimpse of into their life, it's not that surprising. It was a pretty accurate depiction of those times from a woman's point of view...and it's not that she 'feels' like the Goddess...it's that the Goddess actually entered her body and used her...I don't think you really understood this novel...no offense or anything, I don't actually know you, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. It was my first Arthurian novel, and I loved it. Oh, and Arthur was not pathetic, and the women were not fighting for the men...only the pathetic women. Gwenhyfar was having to struggle with not only an affair, but actually being in LOVE with two men, and Lancelot had the huge internal struggle with his love for Gwen, and his love for his king. Being a leader of an empire, when everyone is deadset against your ideas, and deadset against your rise to the throne tends to take a lot out of you. He wasn't pathetic, he was human. I prefer The Once and Future King to it as well, but still, this was a retelling from a traditional Celtic woman's point of view.

Dayna Honestly, I'm surprised that I didn't like this book too. I feel almost blasphemous, lol. You're probably right though, I might not have really understood the novel. Either way, I am not typically a fan of love-triangles, and I am starting to think that I am also not a huge fan of fantasy novels in general, or of retellings of classic stories/legends.

Dayna Haha, I just noticed that I went back sometime and gave it one star ... after I said that I wouldn't give it less than two.

Dayna Okay, so while I am still surprised that I didn't like this book in the first place, I went back to flip through it ... and once again came to the conclusion that it's second-rate slop. I asked myself, "Am I really the only person to hate this book?" I went to Amazon to read all of the one-star reviews ... which are still a drop in the bucket compared to all of the good reviews ... and found that I was not the first, nor the only, person to dislike it. And some of the reviewers put it better than I did. I found them to be quite heartwarming ... I love people that hate what I hate. :)

message 9: by Jenn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenn You're not the only person to hate this book. At least you slogged your way through it...I put it down and never picked it up again.

Patti McDermott I confess I managed to slog my way through, but I was profoundly disappointed. I've never picked up a MZB book again and I read a lot!

Jamie Cottle I am slogging my way through it right now... It's due back at the library in 17 days.. I need to rev it up put my other reads down and just suck it up.. Wish me luck ;)