Joanna's Reviews > Grace Grows

Grace Grows by Shelle Sumners

Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in August, 2012

Won this through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway! Thanks, Goodreads.

I read this while on vacaction and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. The pace of this book is so relaxed and the characters so familiar that it was the ideal read while taking a break from reality.

What the plot lacked in intricacy it made up for in endearment. I loved Tyler and Grace and their relationship. I loved how it realistically spanned years, because not all relationships go through all the ups and downs in six months and then level out for a 'happily-ever-after' that goes on forever.

I think another reviewer made a comment about how much Grace cried. I did find that a bit irritating, but other than that I found her narraration to be lovely. What I especially liked was how Ms. Sumners didn't describe Grace's outer beauty on every other page to explain why Tyler or anyone else might be interested in her, but rather developed her character to the point where I was able to say "Yes, I can see how she would be appealing to members of the opposite sex." I cannot stand when authors emphasize a characters outer beauty, ESPECIALLY in first person narrative. The aspect of this novel that I appreciated the most was the character development.

I would reccomend considering picking up Ms. Sumner's endearing, witty, thoughtful and wonderfully-paced debut.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace Grows.