Vipula's Reviews > The Haunted Hotel: A Mystery of Modern Venice

The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins

Aug 13, 2012

liked it

“The Haunted Hotel” is a sufficient gothic story with its fair amount of interesting characters, haunted rooms and scandalous love affairs.
Though I did not notice this when I read the book, but as I try to explain the plot, I realize that its quite complex. As it is more of a mystery than a ghost story ( with a huge potential for making a real good movie) I wont divulge too much. Lets say there is a hush hush marriage, a scorned lover , rivalry between brothers, missing servants and phantom visions.
Wilkie Collins creates a fair amount of sympathy for almost each character in the book that it is hard to really dislike somone. In the first half of the book, there clearly emerges a murder . Our detective in this case is the scorned lover who is unwittingly pulled into the main stream. Though as a reader you have already categorized your cast into evil and angelic – you are never too sure – as all characters display layers.
The the word is “haunted” in the title, there is not much of spooky stuff happening – chilling and gory maybe – but not haunting.
This is not an elaborate blog post , and nor is the book probably Wilkie Collins best works , but I only put it here because it is nice a gothic story ideal for a rainy or cold evening
Something to think about from the book
“How much happier we should be ” she thought to herself sadly ” if we never grew up!”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunted Hotel.