Nancy's Reviews > Rush Home Road

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: fiction, read-in-2012
Read from August 13 to 19, 2012

Almost up until the end, this book was 3 star for me. I liked it, but didn't love it. But the ending changed me and upped my rating to 4 stars. Rush Home Road is the story of Addy Shadd, an older woman reflecting on her life. Beginning with Addy's rape at 15, at first I was a bit put-off by the all the (though tasteful) sexual activity. Perhaps I am becoming somewhat of a prude in my old age! But as a main theme is forgiveness, I guess Addy's and other's exploits are a necessary part of the story. Addy tells her story to Sharla, a child who was dumped on neighbor, Addy, and deserted by her mother; Sharla's father is not in the picture. Addy's story is sometimes told in her daydreams, as she sometimes dozes and talks aloud to dead people. Addy and Sharla have similar childhoods, but Addy's hardships continue throughout her life.

This book was recommended to me by my sister-in-law, Debbie. Though I had read Lansens' The Girls and enjoyed it, I don't think I would have picked this up or sought this book out on my own. I am glad that I read it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rush Home Road.

08/18/2012 page 206