Katherine's Reviews > Adaptation

Adaptation by Malinda Lo

Aug 13, 2012

bookshelves: incredible-ya

I never set out with the intention to read science fiction, but as it happens, I read a fair amount of it anyway. Usually this is because I pick up something that sounds really interesting and it turns out to be sci-fi, but in this case, however, a friend added an ARC of this book (surreptitiously, of course) to a pile I was borrowing and it wasn't until I'd read the first 20 pages that I realized what I was really getting into.

Since the book has yet to be released, I will refrain from any spoilers and give a more broad opinion with the intention of exciting other people about the storyline.

This novel is compelling, it's imaginative, and it's very real despite being a work of fiction. Malina Lo captures the awkward, the tender, and the terrifying in a believable way. Two teens find themselves in the midst of a medical mystery and government coverup. Their experiences were anything but everyday. Set in Nevada and San Francisco, their challenges in discovering the truth changes everything they thought they knew about each other, and themselves. Perhaps it was my own teenage proclivity towards The X-Files that I felt a deep connection to the mythos of the story, but despite having had years of "experience" with a deep-rooted government conspiracy, I was still surprised by several elements of the story.

This is the first Malinda Lo novel I have read, but I am excited to read the others. She brings a refreshing honesty to her genre, and even transcends the YA category. I highly recommend this novel to all readers, despite the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adaptation.