jess's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012, yaf
Read in August, 2012

I said I wasn't going to rush and read this book, then I accidentally started reading it. I liked it. I just don't love it. But it was fine.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Laura At the risk of getting into Harry Potter more than you care to, I thought this one was the weakest for a long time. I spent most of the last several books wondering if she felt like she'd wasted this one on a fluffy story and then had to cram a lot of Stuff into the last couple. In the end, it turned out that she knew what she was doing and the stuff in this one does become important in the end, even if it felt fluffy at the time.

jess I though Book 5 was the one everyone says was weak? Maybe there are a lot of weak spots.

Laura Eh, depends on what you're judging on. They're weak in different ways. 4 and 6 are my favorites and I know a lot of people say 3 is their favorite.

(I'm trying not to feel personally wounded when you say there might be a lot of weak spots. :) )

jess I mean, it's quite a lot of material. One would expect there to be several weak spots. It's just funny how Potter-lovers talk about it.

And, hey, at least I read a few of them. Isn't that something? (although I tried to watch the movie for sorcerer's stone and I couldn't really get into it...)

Laura Yep, I'm glad you gave them a shot.

Again, to go into more detail than you may want, #3 is where the world starts to expand a little and the stakes get higher. The farther you get into the series, the more it's about politics, prejudice, and good/evil and less about (just) kids at boarding school.