Stephanie's Reviews > Immortally Yours

Immortally Yours by Angie Fox

3919719
Aug 13, 12

Original Post Immortally Yours: Kind of Like M.A.S.H. in Another Dimension and Without Hawkeye

About a month ago I did a buzz thrill for IMMORTALLY YOURS by Angie Fox.

I really enjoyed the book. There are a multitude of reasons. The first, and it's nostalgia rooted, is that it reminded me of a supernatural M.A.S.H. -- a TV series I grew up watching. I always thought it was strange that none of those guys on M.A.S.H. got leaves home. That seems more a function of TV ratings. Here it's just the rule and it comes under the heading of THE GOD'S MUST BE CRAZY. I felt for the members of the surgical team assigned arbitrarily to sides in this alternate reality. They worked until they died, more or less. The doctors care about their patients even though they are forced into conscription. It allows the physician's ideal to shine through. I remember how the characters on M.A.S.H. always fought the spectre of death so fiercely.

I asked Angie what gave her the idea for this unique story and the landscape in which she placed it? Who or what influenced it?

She wrote back:

Great question. I wrote Immortally Yours because I wanted to do something different. Plus, I love writing books that are not only about the hero and heroine, but also about the community where they live. A quirky, paranormal M*A*S*H unit sounded like a blast to write. Plus, I love books about special ops soldiers. They are too sexy. So I made my hero a tough-as-nails wounded warrior and my heroine is the doctor who saves him (in more ways than one).

Then there's the relationship between Dr. Petra Robichaud and Galen of Delphi, the patient whose soul she touches, literally. Battle hardened, defeated Petra still plows on guarding the secret that could get her killed. It's sweet, tender and funny as she backpedals to avoid it. Nothing will deter Galen. And, he is just what the members of the unit need.

I also enjoyed the positively ridiculous world in which Angie lands us. Being a supernatural dimension in a war between the old and new gods, there are no rules. Upside down can be right side up. Knowing that the wowrld is in a strange dimension leaves it open to any kind of manipulation. Sometimes it's an army unit and others it's a multi-dimensional landscape from a nightmare but with life and death reality for the characters.

Angie tells a good story and she wrote sympathetic primary and secondary characters. So, I not only cared about Petra and Galen but the whole team: the supernatural aides working in the hospital, her werewolf roommate who so misses his family. I also cared about the story--would the gods stop being selfish jerks in a war they had been fighting forever, would Petra and Galen really hook up? There are a couple of twists and turns, but not much in the way of waste. She provides enough in the way of description but doesn't over load with purple prose or too much information. What happens? Do we get a happy ending? There's definitely some suspense and emotion.

I feel very comfortable highly recommending IMMORTALLY YOURS to my readers! It's one of those few books I couldn't put down.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortally Yours.