Ryan Louis's Reviews > The Lost Painting

The Lost Painting by Jonathan Harr

Dec 04, 08

Have you ever read a "popular book" (i.e., a bestseller) with an intended audience so niche it actually gets stuck in a demographic ditch? This is the poster book for that effect. A book so enthralled with minutiae it should contain a warning from the surgeon general, "Note: unless an art history major, do not listen to this book-on-cd while operating a motor vehicle."

I did enjoy parts of it--especially the section about art preservation and repair. FASCINATING stuff. But then again, I'm a huge nerd.

So, then, how did this get on a bestseller list? Does this mean that the trend in popular reading is shifting away from Harlequin Romance and genre Mystery? Probably not--I think Harr's just an established non-fiction writer. Fluke?

I'll hold out hope that the world is beoming more of an art manque.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Painting.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Hello fellow nerd. I too found the parts on the restoration interesting. I can see how some would find it tedious, but I can take it when I'm reading about Art, for some reason.

Ryan Louis You know, I love LOVE art. But I had the same problem with that last art book I read: The Passion of Artemesia (Vreeland). It was fictionalized--AND she's one of my favorite artists--but I consistently dipped in and out of focus. I'll have to try something else...any recs?

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I loved The Birth Of Venus - fiction - by Sarah Dunant. Takes place in 15th century Florence. There are two other books I have on my "To Read" list that look interesting, The Judgement Of Paris by Ross King and The Forgery Of Venus by Michael Gruber. They sound interesting. Hmmmmm

Susan-k More about the painter and less tedium about the those devoted small car drivers who tracked down the painting would have made for a very interesting story. This book tried hard to create the tension you look for in a good who done it but just delivered endless unimportant trivia that made me think "just tell us about the stupid painting and get it over with".