Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > Red Hood's Revenge

Jul 05, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, paperbackswap
Read from August 13 to 20, 2012

We tend to censor our fairy tales, preferring the romance and adventure to the darker truths. Most people grow up believing that Sleeping Beauty was awakened by a courtly kiss from a handsome prince, but the truth is that Talia was raped, only awakening to the pangs of childbirth nine months later. Talia later killed the prince for his crimes, but now the prince's mother desires her own revenge, and has hired the dangerous assassin Roudette to take Talia down. Talia, Danielle, and Snow find themselves swept away to the country of Arathea, where they soon discover that there are bigger problems facing Talia's homeland.

Red Hood's Revenge is the third book in Jim C. Hines's Princess Series, and I found it to have more in common with the first book in the series, than the second. Like The Stepsister Scheme, Red Hood's Revenge features all three princesses, but the focus here is really on Talia, the Sleeping Beauty character. The shift in settling gives us a new place to learn about. Arathea is an arid desert country where water is viewed as precious, and many of the people have adopted a religion centered around fairy worship. Exploring this new setting was one of my favorite parts of the book, as was getting to deal with some of the issues that have been plaguing Talia for the duration of the series. I also really enjoyed the back story of Roudette, which is an interesting take on the familiar Red Riding Hood myth.

Admittedly, I didn't find this volume quite as engrossing as previous books in the series. I can't quite put my finger on why, but it may have something to do with the fact that while Talia gets a nice story, Danielle and Snow end up feeling a bit underused (although there is a fantastic scene involving Danielle and the Wild Hunt near the end of the book). Also, while there was a lot of fun action, I had a harder time with some of the emotional parts of the book. A primary example of this is the romantic storyline involving Talia and a new character, which kind of left me cold.

Despite my quibbles, Red Hood's Revenge is an overall solid book that delivers pretty much what you'd expect from the series: plenty of action, a diverse cast of strong female characters, and interesting takes on fairy tales. I'm looking forward to finishing up the series with The Snow Queen's Shadow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Hood's Revenge.

08/13/2012 page 195
58.0% "Third book in the Princess Series. So far, I like is but haven't made up my mind on how it compares to the first two books."
08/20/2012 page 337
100.0% "Just finished this today. Didn't like it as much as the first two books, but still worth reading"
show 1 hidden update…