Paul ZombieVintage's Reviews > Things The Grandchildren Should Know

Things The Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett

Dec 01, 08

bookshelves: have
Recommended for: Eels fans, music fans
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

I read this book during the Thanksgiving 2008 drive from Chicago to Minneapolis. This book will probably go down as the most pleasant memory of that trip, with the possible exception being the moment I was introduced to the singing, strumming, and smacking around of guitar hero world tour.

But back to the point, the book is a fantastic read, but I am a poor judge in this case as I am a rather rabid follower of E (short for M.E. which is short for Mark Everett) and his various musical endeavors. I've been to two shows in Minneapolis at the Pantages Theatre and was fortunate enough to be sitting in the fist couple of rows for both of them. I own all of the cds and would love to get my hand on vinyl copies of them, but I think that the small fortune I'd need to shell out will foolishly be spent elsewhere like on food and shelter (or maybe spent wisely on Guitar Hero!).

I wouldn't argue with someone who feels cheated by an autobiography written when the author is still quite healthy and relatively young, its kind of like a band putting a greatest hits record out shortly after their third record drops. In this case though the history of short lives (at one point he describes looking at a photo of his sister and the three generations that proceed it, and remarks that he is the sole living person from his family) and the amount of life he has stuffed into his time on earth make it seem justifiable.

I told a friend that I wanted this to be my favorite book before I had even opened a page. It doesn't reach those heights, but at least I really enjoyed it and feel like it was well worth the money I handed over to Amazon for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things The Grandchildren Should Know.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy I don't know anything about M.E. - I feel like I should. I guess I'll just have to read the book.