Hallie's Reviews > The Privilege of the Sword

The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner

Jan 25, 13

bookshelves: to-read

Remind me, someone please, never, ever to get any audiobook from Neil Gaiman Presents. Production is terrible.

Not sure I can bear to finish listening to this, as I'm pretty sure it'll sour a book I'd otherwise probably love.

Update: Audible.co.uk introduced a new policy allowing members to get credit for books they don't like - keyboard nearly went on fire with my speed at getting rid of this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Privilege of the Sword.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Oh dear - I haven't bought a Neil Gaiman Presents audiobook yet but I was so happy when they announced that they were making them because I love audiobooks. What sort of things are they doing to them?

message 2: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie Anna wrote: "Oh dear - I haven't bought a Neil Gaiman Presents audiobook yet but I was so happy when they announced that they were making them because I love audiobooks. What sort of things are they doing to them?"

I know - it sounded fantastic - read by Ellen Kushner herself, with Felicia Day & Neil Gaiman among others, doing bits. But Neil Gaiman - oh, what the hell, going to say it - I think he's so full of himself now that he's incapable of looking at anything he does critically. His introduction made me cringe & there's music composed just for this, which isn't restricted to between chapters or anything - very intrusive. Also Ellen Kushner just isn't a very good reader, I don't think. (She does the 1st-person parts & the regular reader does omniscient narrator. I think. It's messy!) Seems very, very overdone. (You can hear a sample here: http://www.audible.co.uk/pd?asin=B008...)

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Ooh, I wonder if Audible.com has the same policy? I have quite a few candidates for them :-)

message 4: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie Anna wrote: "Ooh, I wonder if Audible.com has the same policy? I have quite a few candidates for them :-)"

Well, as I can only use the UK site, it seems to me as if the US one is preferable in all ways, so I imagine they might. But that could be a slightly jaundiced view. :)

message 5: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Ooh, I remember that feeling :-( being locked out of US sites sucks. I just had a go and sure enough, I can return up to four books a year, though I had to do some of it on the phone- I got rid of the bad choices I made last July and now I get a bunch of new pick, so I'm feeling pretty happy!

message 6: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie Anna wrote: "Ooh, I remember that feeling :-( being locked out of US sites sucks. I just had a go and sure enough, I can return up to four books a year, though I had to do some of it on the phone- I got rid of ..."

Brilliant! I'm not sure they specify a number, but it's pretty clear you can't return TOO many books, which is fair enough. I don't mind if it's just that I end up disliking a book, but when you can't stand listening even to finish, and you can't just throw the book in the take-to-Oxfam pile, it is upsetting!

katayoun Masoodi and hallie the book was good, so glad that you are giving it a chance

message 8: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie katayoun wrote: "and hallie the book was good, so glad that you are giving it a chance"

Oh, definitely - it was ALL about the audio, and I will read the book! Four stars from you is a real win. :)

katayoun Masoodi :) LOL, though now i've found out that i give books also based on how i like them, since i gave marchetta's books 5, though they are not (as i said) like hardinge's or camus (which are simply perfect; a great story told in a beautiful way and with lots of magic and imagination and humanity there!!!.... yes i do like camus and hardinge :))
still this is a very good book, interesting people, interesting story and written very nicely. though i am pretty sure the reason i read this was you or teresa and you're rating of her prev books, so it's really again all your fault :)

message 10: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie katayoun wrote: "though i am pretty sure the reason i read this was you or teresa and you're rating of her prev books, so it's really again all your fault :) "

:) I've found that I read Swordspoint too long ago to have put it up here, so we can both blame Teresa! I should add it but remember too fuzzily to do anything like a rating/review. Should probably reread before reading Privilege, but not sure it'll happen.

message 12: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I'm feeling tempted to have a go at the series now, though in print rather than audio form!

message 13: by Hallie (new) - added it

Hallie Anna wrote: "I'm feeling tempted to have a go at the series now, though in print rather than audio form!"

I'll be very interested in your response if you do! I've noticed that SWORDSPOINT divided my friends like few other books, with Sherwood, Rachel and Teresa giving it 5 stars and Jacob & Melissa giving it 1. I do remember its being very cynical but not a whole lot else..what it is to be old!

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I've ordered the free sample chapters so I can get an idea of how I like her style. It sounds like the kind of book I will either love or hate and I'm not sure which!