John's Reviews > This Present Darkness

This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

Aug 13, 12

Read in January, 2002

I loved this book when I was 13. It's fast paced and entertaining with lots of twists, suspense, and a feel good ending. Unfortunately, it is also cliche, naive, and ignorant. Example: A character gets "hopped up on marijuana," and robs a bank. Every vice known to man from complacency to rape is attributed to the influence of specific demons. The christian distrust of psychology is also evident. Psychologists are just satan worshipping, yoga practicing liberals. There is also a blatant ignorance of other religions. Don't get me started on the homophobia. Why three stars? It is an entertaining read, and if you think yoga can open your soul to demons and that there is a demon behind every bush just waiting to possess you or your child and you believe that hitting your children is a Jesus given right, then you will love this book.

I've met Mr. Peretti and he seems to be a very sincere, energetic, talented individual. His books are fun and entertaining with believable characters. Unfortunately I cannot enjoy his work when it reflects the ignorance of a religion I am no longer affiliated with. A good author does research.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Present Darkness.