Emily's Reviews > A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table

A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: foodie-reads
Read in July, 2012

I just started reading the author's blog, Orangette, back in January, but it's good food writing. I also like her personality. So I was surprised when I found myself rolling my eyes several times while reading the introduction to this book. Maybe it's because romanticizing the crap out of mealtimes and cooking at home peaked in 2009 (when the book was published), and so it's old, old news by 2012. Maybe it's because I feel like we are similar--though I outgrew my French phase--and I'm jealous to be reading her book, rather than the other way around. I don't know.

But as I read on, I rolled my eyes less, and enjoyed it a bit more. Her stories aren't especially memorable (save the cool bit about meeting her husband), but she's a good enough writer that you keep reading. And it does say something that I dog-eared maybe 70% of the recipes (though cooking in the kitchen with my kindle sounds problematic). A better review would say something about whether the food lived up to her preludes, but that will have to wait 'til I get home to the States.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Homemade Life.