Brittany's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Jan 13, 09

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2009

I love Robin McKinley. She can make you stay up far too late at night.

I keep telling people I don't really like vampire lit. I really don't get all the fuss about them. I love Buffy and Angel in spite of the vampires, not because of them (or maybe because of specific vampires, but not vampires in the aggregate).

That's still pretty much true, but this book was great. The plot was exciting, but mainly I think what kept me entranced were the characters and the character development. And the delicate way McKinley has of giving plots, characters, and details all room to breath. The adventure in this book was captivating, the details were finely drawn, and it was wonderful fun to read even if you're not really a vampire fan.

Also, McKinley is just a fun writer to read. She's adept at wonderful, wry lines such as (when the Heroine's boyfriend is rescuing the Heroine): "We had to go back to the coffeehouse: the Wreck [said heroine’s car:] was there. Mel had walked over. Well, I don’t know about walked. He had come over without vehicular assistance anyway."

And I loved that everything wasn't entirely explained at the end. Which leaves me to imagine Mel as a tattooed, bike riding, tough guy wizard!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.

Quotes Brittany Liked

Robin McKinley
“The train is roaring toward you and the villain is twirling his moustache and you're fussing that he's tied you to the tracks with the wrong kind of rope.”

Robin McKinley
“Those single-track military minds never think to ask their cleaning staff for help in giant lethal marauding creature matters.”

Robin McKinley
“We had to go back to the coffeehouse: the Wreck was there. Mel had walked over. Well, I don’t know about walked. He had come over without vehicular assistance anyway.”