Michael's Reviews > American Sniper

American Sniper by Chris Kyle

Feb 15, 13

Chris Kyle is an amazing war-hero and if I met him personally I would thank him for his service to his country. I enjoyed his autobiography but I was honestly hoping to read more about what it's like to be in battle as a sniper. This book had a little of that, but it was mostly about his personal family life and challenges. To me, it seems like everyone eventually goes through tough experiences that make them wiser, smarter, and cause them to value life more. For Kyle, this happened through being a Navy Seal.

I'm a little ashamed to say this, but Kyle really struck me as the high-school jock type. It was hard not to think that when the adjective, "bad-ass", is peppered all through his autobiography. I probably wouldn't say that to his face though.

Kyle admits in the book that one of the secrets to being a good sniper is "luck." With that said, and since he's trying to be as honest as possible in his autobiography, perhaps "the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history" should be removed from the title. He also says the numbers (as in kills as a sniper) were never very accurate. From the few battle experiences told in his book, it really seems like people were just throwing themselves in front of his cross-hairs.

Overall, this was a good read. I guess I was just looking forward to a book completely about the sniper-in-battle experiences and less about the wisdom-gained life journey. It was an autobiography, so I don't know why I was expecting that. Maybe I'm sick. But I'm guessing that's what a lot of people are expecting when they read a book like this. After all, the whole gaining-wisdom-through-life's-experiences can be found in pretty much anyone's life. But I appreciated this book for the further insight into the Navy Seal experience (something I can never do).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Sniper.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Bumpas You'll never be able to meet him personally as he was murdered a few weeks before your review.