Christie Goldenberg's Reviews > Albert of Adelaide

Albert of Adelaide by Howard L. Anderson

Oct 23, 13

bookshelves: kindle, arc, books-i-own, netgalley, my-favorites-read-wish-list
Read from August 12 to 14, 2012

Ok so this latest one was suggested to me recently over coffee. She said that her friend (a bookaholic and fellow reviewer) had begged her to read a book called Albert of Adelaide. When she asked her what it was about her friend said, "I don't want to tell you because then you won't read it" Well it turns out that it is about a platypus named Albert. Yes, it is fiction and No, it is not a childrens or young adult book. This unique premise was enough for me to contact the publisher as soon as I got home and request a copy of the book.

On the surface this book is just a book about Albert the Platypus looking for his "utopia" of sorts. A place that he has heard of for a long time from his friends in the zoo. Well he escapes the zoo and sets off on his adventure. He meets many other animals, friend and foe, during his journey and gets himself into situations he never could have imagined. The thing that I LOVED about this book is that if you look a little deeper, you begin to see yourself in Albert. I mean aren't we all searching for our own paradise in life and yet we find ourselves constantly being challenged by people and events that life throws at us. In each of Albert's friends, I could recognize people I have encountered both good and bad. This book isn't a book to tell you how to, and it is not a book that judges. No character in this book is clearly a villian or a hero, instead they are all very flawed individuals seeking something outside themselves in hopes of healing something dying inside of them. My best advice when you read this book is don't over analyze it, don't try to figure it out but instead just go with it and enjoy the ride. DO NOT miss this little gem! Remember the best movies are not the blockbusters at your local theatre, they are the little movies that you have never heard of, playing at the obscure little theatre! This book is just like that! My rating 4 out of 5 Thank you to Netgalley!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Albert of Adelaide.