Linda's Reviews > The Red House

The Red House by Mark Haddon

Aug 12, 12

Read in August, 2012

I was an enthusiastic fan of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, but I was disappointed in Haddon's seond "adult" book. It's the story of two families - one family in a way, since the main characters are brother and sister - who vacation in an old red house (manor house adapted for rental) in Wales. Lots of misunderstandings, some clarifications, some secrets revealed, that kind of thing. I don't dislike books that go "nowhere," but this one didn't touch me in any way. Haddon gives each person a turn throughout the book of expressing the story from his/her point of view so that we are the only ones who know what is going on in all the minds at any one time. The style isn't bad, the characters aren't bad, the scenery sounds wonderful, but the book never gripped me. The futility of the lives never quite touched me. It was almost like reading about families on Mars. I wasn't expecting this second book to equal the first, but I did expect something more - what, I'm not sure.

If you liked Dog, you might want to try this. But don't be surprised if your reaction is like mine.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red House.