Manny's Reviews > Kometen kommer

Kometen kommer by Tove Jansson

Apr 12, 09

bookshelves: strongly-recommended, children, swedish-and-norwegian, well-i-think-its-funny
Read in January, 1981, read count: 3

A beautiful, ironic parody of the Armageddon-style killer meteorite movie, written before any of them existed. There are so many brilliant little details. I particularly loved the out-of-touch astronomers at the observatory, who have calculated exactly when the comet will strike ("possibly four seconds later," they add scrupulously), but seem completely uninterested by the fact that it will wipe out everyone in Moomin Valley.

In case you're worried, though, the Moomin family is more than a match for one little rogue comet, and Moominpappa's wonderfully absurd solution saves the day. The writing in the original Swedish is impeccable; Jansson's unique blend of humor, melancholy and acute observation all comes together perfectly. I think this is her best book, and have read it several times. Suitable for anyone from eight to eighty-eight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kometen kommer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu I love TJ!

Manny Then you should read her in Swedish! Start with the comics...

message 3: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula I wish I knew how to read Swedish. I've read a lot of Swedish children's authors in German translations, but nothing beats the original. Any good ideas on which book (or books) to get to quickly learn Swedish for reading knowledge?

Manny Gundula wrote: "I wish I knew how to read Swedish. I've read a lot of Swedish children's authors in German translations, but nothing beats the original. Any good ideas on which book (or books) to get to quickly learn Swedish for reading knowledge?"

A friend of mine did well starting with the Alfons Åberg books, and watching the films. I've reviewed many of them here - in fact they even have their own shelf :)

message 5: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula Thanks, I might give these a try.

message 6: by Kosmis (new)

Kosmis If Tove was a Finn, why did she write in swedish?

message 7: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula I think there is a sizable Swedish minority in Finland.

message 8: by Gundula (new) - added it

Gundula Sorry, my mistake. And, I did not know that all Finnish literature used to be written in Swedish. Why is language often used as a way to rule and conquer?

message 9: by Kosmis (new)

Kosmis Well, I've lived here about 2 months now and I havent really figured it out yet :) Finland is bilingual country and the official languages are finnish and swedish. So the swedish speakers are also Finns. I've been told that though only 5% speaks swedish as a mother tongue every Finn learns it in schools. So I believe that it could be as simple as those who speaks swedish writes in swedish and those who speaks finnish writes in finnish? I should try to ask natives but they arent so eager to talk about it. Or maybe it's just that i look like a russian to them.

message 10: by Ossi (new) - added it

Ossi I'm a Finn. Swedish speakers are minority. They are proud from their language and ofcourse wan't to use it whenever they can. That is totally ok. I love Tove. She is really cool author.