Savannah Weaver's Reviews > Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook

Notebook Know-How by Aimee Buckner

F_50x66
Aug 13, 12

Read from August 12 to 13, 2012

I absolutely loved this book! I feel like it is a great supplement to Lucy Calkins and Leograndis' "Launching the Writer's Workshop." I don't think it would be a very good resource without a working knowledge of the writer's workshop, but it doesn't pretend to set up the writer's workshop, it gives you help on what your writer's notebooks could like like in your classroom.

To start, I adored the easy way that Aimee Buckner wrote. I stayed up until past 11:30 reading this because it was so easy to get caught in her words. She makes everything so understandable and relatable. She offers a lot of strategies for helping students begin writing in their notebooks. I have tons of sticky notes placed all over this book that I plan on using as mini-lessons. She also talks about how she divides the notebook up in her class, and I am definitely taking the idea of having the students use the book from front to back for writing and back to front for taking notes during mini-lessons. I think one of the most helpful parts for me, however, was how to assess the notebook. The thought of giving a grade to my children's personal thoughts terrified me, and I feel that I now have the tools I need to measure growth in my kids' writer's notebooks without having to hurt my children in any way.

Awesome book full of tools for any teacher using writer's workshop!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notebook Know-How.