Shoshana's Reviews > The Rent Collector

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012, grown-up, makes-me-cry, favorites, must-carry, realistic
Recommended for: anyone with a soul
Read on August 12, 2012

An astonishingly beautiful story about a woman - a Cambodian trash picker - learning not only to read but about stories and life. Skip every English class ever and just read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rent Collector.

Quotes Shoshana Liked

Camron Wright
“While almost everything that surrounds us in life gets old and wears out, stories, like our very souls, don't age.”

Camron Wright
“But as a wise and great teacher once explained so patiently, all good stories - stories that touch your soul, stories that change your nature, stories that cause you to become a better person from their telling-these stories always contain truth.”

Camron Wright
“Literature is a cake with many toys baked inside--and even if you find them all, if you don't enjoy the path that leads you to them, it will be a hollow accomplishment.”

Camron Wright
“Child, unless you are opening a dictionary, you start at the book's opening page and you read the story through. If it's terribly dreadful, then just put it down and move on. What I will not tolerate is reading ahead. It's not fair to the reader or to the author. If they meant to have their books read backwards, they would surely have written them that way!”