Kris's Reviews > Between Here and April

Between Here and April by Deborah Copaken Kogan

Aug 13, 12

Read in January, 2009

I only gave the extra star because I appreciated how during the course of her investigation of April's mother's motives, the main character did not find any cut and dry answers. As well, the conclusion that she came to about how to tell the woman's story was realistic and refreshing, especially in today's news world of 48 hours, Dateline, and the like, where most everything is explained and wrapped up in an hour's time. She seemed to grasp the notion that not every detail has to be spelled out to tell a good story. It's too bad the book's author had no apparent revelations.

This author has a thing or two to learn about the art of description, and subtlety too for that matter...and character development, and dialogue. Less really is more. At times I actually felt like she was beating me over the head with her point. She couldn't just describe a look and let the reader pick up on the character's emotions. She had to tell, tell, tell...and it got tedious. I also found much of the tone crass, self-pitying, and just plain annoying. I did not sympathize with the main character at all. In fact by the end of the book, I rather would have liked to slug her.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Here and April.