Kelly Robinson's Reviews > Illicit Magic

Illicit Magic by Camilla Chafer

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance
Read from August 12 to 19, 2012

I thought, like some other reviewers, that Illicit Magic Started off well. Our female lead, Stella, is a 24 year old living a quiet life in London working as a temp and trying as hard as possible to blend in. Unfortunately, strange things are always happening when Stella is around, like bookshelves falling on creepy bosses, and people notice. Stella's life is turned around when witch hunters named the brotherhood start targeting her. Then a young stranger named Étoile shows up and rescues Stella, whisking her away to America. This was the interesting part of the book, but it suddenly goes downhill, turning into a mess of poor grammar and young adult romance. Stella is placed in hiding with a group of witches in training, and we spend most of the book waiting for the brotherhood or someone to show up and do something. Throughout this, Stella and the other characters are completely underdeveloped and bland. Stella occasionally makes wise assumptions like "wow, the brotherhood can't be behind this, it must be one of us" even though she knows next to nothing about the brotherhood or the other witches. The brotherhood, one of the most exciting parts of the book, sadly, do not factor into the story much. This was a quick read and I could see it appealing to young adults, so I gave it a few stars. However, I did not find the story to be very original (a lot reminded me of A Discovery of Witches, but for the preteen set) and I really found the poor grammar/editing grating. However, I know this is the first of a series, and the end did leave room for interesting developments in Stella's life.

Check out my blog Not Just a Librarian for more reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illicit Magic.