Rachael Woohoo's Reviews > The Demon Catchers of Milan

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, 2012, review-copy, reviewed
Read from August 19 to 25, 2012

Rating: 3 / 5

If you want to see more of my reviews, check out my blog @ Moosubi Reviews!

Disclaimer: The fact that I received an eARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley has not affected my rating. This review expresses my honest opinions.

The Demon Catchers of Milan is a book that was more… “meh” for me. I was probably expecting a lot more action than I got, although there were some fantastic gothic elements that kept my attention.

My main issue with the book was the fact that I was expecting more action, especially from the first few pages that I read. During the middle, especially when the author was describing Milanese culture or family gatherings, although it was beautiful, it didn’t hold my interest for a long time. I did read through it, although to be frank, I was a little bored. Don’t get me wrong – I loved the setting and the factors dealing with exorcism, but I did wish there was more action.

However, I found that the parts where there were actual demons and exorcisms to be pretty engaging. These scenes were pretty vivid and I was definitely hooked! The Della Torres’ explanations of methods, and some of the history were pretty intriguing and added to the gothic setting and atmosphere of the book. I especially was interested in Mia’s possession at the beginning – it scared me a bit, and if I saw someone who was possessed by a demon, I think he or she would look exactly like Mia o___o

The characters were, I suppose, just… okay. To be honest, I didn’t find Mia to be particularly interesting, although her personality traits were admirable. I didn’t feel like I got to see other characters develop either, until there was more of a “feel-good” moment at the end in the Christmas scene. Overall, the characters weren’t too bad… but they weren’t spectacular either.

Overall, The Demon Catchers of Milan presents some creepy aspects of exorcism and demons, with some moments of great action and vividly described scenes, although sometimes I felt a bit bored :/ If you’re interested in urban fantasy that’s not too mainstream, or exorcism, or something of the sort, this book would be for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Catchers of Milan.

08/19/2012
08/23/2012
80.0% "Hopefully something exciting will happen... soon..."