Rachael's Reviews > Since You Left Me

Aug 22, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, arc, review-copy, 2012, 2012-favorites, reviewed
Read from August 12 to 19, 2012

Rating Clarification: 3.5 / 5

If you want to see more of my reviews, check out my blog @ Moosubi Reviews!

Disclaimer: The fact that I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley from the publisher has not affected my rating. This review expresses my honest opinions.

Whenever I read fiction that involves religion, it’s usually either as an element in fantasy (like in The Girl of Fire and Thorns) or as a presence, when a character chooses between a religious family or religion, or a true love (like in Burned). That being said Since You Left Me was definitely a different read for me – it focuses on a Jewish lifestyle where the character isn’t a 100% believer and more on family.

Sanskrit is definitely a unique but interesting character. For one, take a look at his name. San. Skrit. (Yes the language.) And instead of starting out as a devout follower of his religion, he starts out as a rebel who only goes to a Jewish school for money, and as someone who is trying to find hope and a place in this messed up world. He’s pretty entertaining too – I loved his witty remarks and unique responses to certain situations. His emotions were pretty realistic to – I know that if my mother had done the same thing as his, I would have done the same thing (and maybe even worse). In a way, I could relate to him.

His family issues also made the book pretty unique. Among his family, various elements in their issues include a guru (yes, a real life guru), yoga lessons, pregnant women, Thai food, and chiropractors. The various events in the plot line were pretty interesting and sometimes made me laugh!

My main issue with this book, however, is that the initial issue of Sanskrit’s big lie kind of disappeared towards the middle, when he was dealing with his family. It popped up a few times with Herschel and the Initials, but that’s about it :/ Moreover, I was hoping to see more of some of the characters at school, like Barry, Herschel, and Luke, although they were only rarely seen.

On a side note, this book is not for everyone. There’s almost no romance, other than some reminiscing of a second grade crush, and there are some parts of this contemporary that are slightly unrealistic and out of the ordinary. The ending, although sweet, seemed a little rush and maybe a little random. Still, I enjoyed it!

Overall, Since You Left Me is a unique and quirky contemporary, that’s great for a few laughs here and there. If you’re looking for a book that’s not mainstream, but may be a little crude, this book’s definitely for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Since You Left Me.

08/19/2012