Beth Dean's Reviews > The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket

The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne

Aug 17, 12

bookshelves: adventure, childrens, fairy-tale, family, fantasy, other-cultures, time-spanning, thought-provokers
Recommended to Beth by: Waterstones Children's Book of the Month
Recommended for: All and sundry
Read from August 12 to 13, 2012, read count: 1

What a totally charming, heatwarming tale which proves that you don't need guns death to make an adventure. This is a lovely change for somone who seems to only find these things in adventure novels nowadays..... (yes, I'm a tad cynical about adventure books).

It has lesbian balloonists, moustached artists and many many more great characters who you can't help but adore because of how well they're written. But Barnaby Brocket's family are the best literary family I have ever come across, strange and definitely normal but brilliant because they were so horrible and yet totally plausible. To be fair to the kids of said family they were the exceptions of the "horrible" since by some second miracle they turned out to be alright.

Oliver Jeffers' illustrations need a mention because they're divine. They encapture exactly what I was picturing mentally but at the same time

The fable-like narrative mixed with the modern setting and characters makes me feel that this is a modern fairy tale which I'm going to recommend to any and every person to read. Just because I love it that much.

But what I totally love most about this book though is that it celebrates breaking out of normality and expanding your imagination to the fullest. All this whilst revelling in others who do the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket.

08/12/2012 page 168