Andrew Shuping's Reviews > Dark Star

Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Aug 12, 12

ARC provided by NetGalley

Audrey Whitticomb has never led a normal life. Her mom is the superhero Morning Star, the most revered and feared superhero in the Twin Cities. But there is a whisper in the night that something in town isn’t quite right. She keeps having dreams of burning down the city. And young girls are disappearing and found dead weeks later with no clue as to who is committing the crimes. Then...they come for Audrey. She escapes, but discovers that her mom isn’t fighting your typical criminal. She’s fighting demons. And Audrey has the power to fight them as well. But will she use her powers to defeat them....or will her dreams come true?

I think what I like most about this work is that it isn’t your typical superhero novel. You aren’t reading the story of Audrey’s mom, Morning Star. Instead you’re reading the story of a young girl who discovers that there’s more to the world than what she’s been led to believe. And that there is more to her life than she knows. And while there are some formulaic plot points to the work, such as the romance that develops between Audrey and her mom’s ward/partner (which frankly just annoyed the crap out of me), there are some good moments to this book--such as the characters themselves. Although they could have use a bit more depth to them Audrey and her friends weren’t your stereotypical oversexed, perfect, confident teens. Instead...they act like real teens, with bursts of confidence, but mostly still trying to feel out who and what they are. Audrey’s friend Gideon is probably my favorite, because I recognize myself in him. He’s kinda of that shy, somewhat awkward kid that everyone likes because he’ll stand by his friends when they need him and because you can kinda sense that there’s something special about him.

My one complaint about the book (other than the romance) is that I really want this to be a series, where the world and the mystery of the demons is developed further. And while the ending hints this maybe the case, to me the ending almost felt force, just so that if there wasn’t a second book we’d at least have something to wrap the story up with. Even with that complaint about the ending though, there are still some really nice plot twists happening at the end that will catch the reader off guard (in a good way.)

This is engaging and fast paced book and I really do hope there’s a second book in the series, because this is just the right combination of paranormal and hero all thrown together. I’d recommend this to teen readers +.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Star.