Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The

Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The by Michael Chabon

Aug 15, 12

This is a compromise rating. This book will appeal to different readers in different ways. There were times this was (to me) a 4 star book while at other times I found it a 2 star read.

Now why each? The story here involves an interesting take on human nature. We look at the reaction of two young men to the situations of their lives (one a Jew who fled the growing threat of Nazism in Europe having had to leave his family behind. The other is an American Jew who is straining, planning and working to achieve the traditional American dream).

The struggles against Nazism within the pages of a comic book or comic books, the actions of the people around them, the problems and even dangers they over come, all this makes what was for me and enthralling story.

On the other hand the convoluted love lives and romantic entanglements of these young man and the people around them is for me simply an annoying distraction. I got extremely tired of it.

I know however that there are readers out there who will find this their favorite part of the book. So for me a compromise of 3 stars and a certain amount of disappointment with a book I thought opened up well and is a good idea. Try it yourself. It may appeal to you more than it did to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The.