Bill's Reviews > The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story

The Wettest County in the World by Matt Bondurant

Dec 30, 13

Read in December, 2008

I liked the main story of this book. The main story follows three brothers who are bootleggers and general shady characters in the early 1900s. They grew up as poor farmers in a region that became known for moonshine production during prohibition, and soon became involved themselves. Some of the more interesting pars of the book came from seeing how the three brothers were each differently suited (or unsuited in some cases,) to such a life.

However, the book really fell apart where it tried to skip back and forth to a story taking place ~5 years ahead of the other one. In the second story a journalist was trying to find information about the bootleggers of the area and having trouble figuring out what actually happened. The problem is that the second story added almost nothing to the original or the overall book. Those pages could have been much better spent developing the brother characters (who suffer from shallow characterization for much of the book.)
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wettest County in the World.

message 1: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe This reviewer makes a good point. I failed to see the utility of the Anderson storyline. He didn't help build the legend of the Bondurants as much as he could have.

Stacey Lucky Im not finished reading but I totally agree with the back and forth being useless. I almost feel like skipping his pages all together.