Gina's Reviews > The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1

The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

F_50x66
Aug 17, 12

Read from August 12 to 17, 2012

Really interesting. There were parts I liked better than others, as the volume covers several different storylines. I loved Death. I suppose that despite the variety in her work, there is a certain sameness where it would not really work for her to have her own series, but as a guest she is a delight.

The Midsummer Night's Dream section is also wonderful, and totally deserved the World Fantasy Awards Best Short Fiction it got.

Another neat feature of this book is that there is a section in the back that goes over the original proposal for the series, along with sketches and notes that gives some insight, and you can see the thought that went it to it, and it was really well-thought out.

At the same time, there is a fair amount of grotesquerie, and some things that are really awful, although, if something that is completely fictional makes you feel bad, and you have cared, clearly it was accomplishing something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1.