Debbie's Reviews > A Spy in the House

A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

Aug 12, 12

bookshelves: historical, mystery, ya
Read in August, 2012

"A Spy in the House" is a young adult historical mystery novel. It's set in 1858 in London. The historical details about the manners and activities of the time were woven into the story and didn't slow the pacing down. The mystery was about illegal business activities rather than a murder whodunit, which was a nice change. It seemed like everyone had something secret going on. I was kept guessing about who was involved in exactly what until about the same time as the heroine put the facts together.

The characters had depth to them and were interesting, and yet I didn't really sympathize or deeply care about any of them. So it was an interesting story but lacked an emotional connection for me. There were plenty of places were there should have been suspense from danger of the heroine being discovered or even harmed, but the heroine was not particularly scared about getting caught or hurt. That made the story lack suspense for me.

There was some explicit bad language. There was no sex though affairs were mentioned. Overall, I'd recommend this enjoyable and interesting novel.

Update 8/13/12: I got this book out of the library, so I had also checked out the sequel at the same time and started reading it last night. The premise of the series was what interested me. The idea was that women would never be suspected of being spies and undercover detectives, so these women took assignments to discover things "from the inside" that men wouldn't be able to.

Part of my disappointment with "A Spy in the House" was that her assignment was to listen and watch the family from inside, but she kept putting on breeches and breaking into warehouses and such (and learning no information while doing so) which men could do just fine. I liked the idea of women using the culture of the time to their advantage. And most of the important things the heroine learned were, indeed, as a lady's companion. So I'd hoped that the second book would more closely stick to the premise as the heroine has now learned her lesson. But, sadly, no: an 18 or 19 year old girl is going to spend the whole book trying to pass herself off as a 12-year-old boy. Not interested, thanks.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spy in the House.