Mark's Reviews > The Chronicles of Amber

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

Nov 30, 2008

bookshelves: finished

Read anything by Zelazny! His ability to craft a story that immediately draws the reader in is remarkable. He is one of the few authors who can not only get away with writing in the first person, but who excel at befriending the reader while doing so.

The Chronicles of Amber begins with the book, Nine Princes in Amber. It is a gripping mystery, and a contemporary fiction and fantasy novel all in one, and done very well. From the outset, the reader is pulled into action and intrigue.

The original series spanned five books. These five are sufficient to complete the Chronicles of Amber, but if you enjoyed them, you may as well enjoy the latter five books (however, my personal favorites are the original five of the series).

My favorite book of the series, without a doubt, is The Guns of Avalon. Wow. I refuse to tell you anything about it, except that I had to read it IMMEDIATELY after reading Nine Princes in Amber (a stupendous cliff-hanger - wow Zelazny shamelessly pulled out all the stops there!!).

Have fun! THIS CLASSIC IS A MUST for any serious Fantasy reader !
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Amber.

message 1: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa thanks for the great review and info!