Cynthia's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

F_50x66
Sep 03, 12

Read in August, 2012

What a read! Having just turned the last page a mere 20 minutes ago, I'm still absorbing the book, thinking about Cheryl from start to finish, not fully there yet with my assessment of "Wild".

Despite the rave reviews, I held off reading this book for quite some time. I had sampled it on my Kindle and wasn't overly impressed, yet the reviews kept coming, not one to miss anything I finally succumbed and started reading it in earnest.

I'll be honest, the first third of the book I wasn't impressed. Quite the contrary, I was annoyed with her. I thought she was a complete moron, making the same mistakes over and over again, extremely ill prepared for the hike, lucky at every turn. I wanted to shake her and ask her what the hell was she thinking? I was worried people would read her book, get the urge to get out there and follow in her foot steps, be even more ill prepared and not as lucky. and truth be told I still somewhat feel that way.

Somewhere about halfway to two thirds of the way through, I started reading with gusto, wanting to see what happened next, my heart racing with her various encounters, saying to myself "oh please don't let what I think is going to happen, happen".

Although she never made the connection, at least not on the pages of the book, her mother was most definitely with her every step of the way, her angel throughout, keeping her safe, helping her grow and grieve, showing her she really was strong and her life was meant to be lived, to move on and be happy.

don't let the hype keep you from reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.